Friday, February 01, 2008

Circus School!

Yesterday I took the boys to Zacada Circus School for the afternoon. This was a group outing with a bunch of other local homeschoolers. I had no idea this place existed before the trip was posted to our local homeschooling list. We were so excited to go check it out!

The boys had a blast! They got to walk a tightrope, swing on a trapeze, jump on a big trampoline, and do some cool stuff with these large fabric "ribbons" they had hanging from the ceiling. I really wanted to try it out myself (they do have adult and family classes, so we may be back!)

Unfortunately, my camera batteries died so no pics :( I think I would have had trouble getting good shots of my guys in that setting anyway, but it's a bit of a bummer that I wasn't able to at least give it a shot. If we go back I will definitely check the camera batteries well in advance!

4 comments:

Vicki said...

Hi Karen

I like checking in on your blog. Please give us updates more often!


I was wondering if you could blog more on the kind of homeschooling you do, such as how you incorporate lessons or how the kids are doing.

I find homeschooling interesting and I'd love to know how it works on a day to day basis.

Karen McLaughlin said...

Hi Vicki!

I am trying to get better about blogging more regularly, so stay tuned for more frequent updates :)

You won't see me blogging about homeschooling "lessons" because we don't do any! We're unschoolers, so we learn through daily living and following our interests, rather than through any type of formal lessons. I've been meaning to include more of that here on my blog, so thanks for reminding me!

Vicki said...

DO the kids have to take any tests? I don't mean from you, but in order to "unschool" does the government/schoolboard/other authority have to give them some sort of achievement tests?

Karen McLaughlin said...

Hi again Vicki :)
Homeschooling regulations vary quite a lot from one province or state to another. Some require testing and some don't. Here in Ontario, our children can participate in the standardized testing carried out by the school board if they wish to do so, but it's not mandatory.